Our Choice Recommendation
- Game included 5 dice, game instructions, and travel/storage tube.
- Fun family game at home or on the go!
- Size of dice: 16mm
What is Pig?
Where did it come from?
Does it have other names?
How easy is it to learn how to play this pig dice game?
When looking for some great dice games Pig is sure to come up in your searches. Pig is a simple dice game that is very easy to learn how to play and is especially popular with kids.
This game was first coined in 1945, although it may have been enjoyed earlier than this as well. The game may also be known as Hog, Pass the Pigs, and Skunk, but these are all more or less the same with just a few small changes between them all.
The game can be used to teach probability, addition, strategy, and more. It’s also a fun and competitive way to enjoy family game night! Check out our information about Pig dice below to help you learn more.
***Bet and Profit Daily With A Success Rate Of 91.3%. LEARN HOW
How to Play Pig
Players Needed For This Pig Dice Game: 2 or more, although it’s a good idea to cap the game at 10
Materials Needed For This Pig Dice Game:
- At least one 6-sided die, or more for each player to have their own
- The die should have a side that is unique in some way; Pig dice have a pig instead of a one, for example
- Pad and pencil for scorekeeping
- Table or other space for playing
- Begin by having all players sit around the table or on the floor together.
- Each player should take turns rolling the die. The player who rolls the highest number goes first. In the event of a tie, those two players should continue rolling until one of them has a higher score than the other and is chosen to go first.
- Give everyone a piece of paper and a pencil for keeping their own score. Pig Dice Gameally, you may choose someone to be an overall scorekeeper instead.
- This may be a good idea if playing with very young kids, just to double-check their math.
How to play:
- The rules to this pig dice game are very simple, and are easy to explain to kids.
- The first player rolls the dice and earns the number of points rolled. For example, if they roll a 5, then they score 5 points.
- The player can choose to continue rolling and scoring points for each additional roll.
- However, if the player rolls a one (or a Pig, on specific Pig dice), they lose all the points they have accumulated and the next player then takes their turn.
- The player may also choose to stop rolling before landing on a one/Pig. This adds a little bit of simple strategy into the gameplay.
- There is a variation known as two-dice Pig in which gameplay is the same, except players add the sum of two dice on each roll to determine their points.
- In this version, if a player rolls a single Pig, their turn ends. If they roll two Pigs, they lose all their points so far in the game.
- Another variation called Big Pig changes the rules even more. For this version, if a player rolls two Pigs, the player automatically scores only 25 points for the turn and then their turn ends.
- Rolling any other doubles means the player doubles the value of the roll. For example, double 5’s would mean a score of 20 instead of 10 for that roll.
- There are other ways to vary the gameplay. For example, you may choose to limit the number of rolls a player can take per turn, so no single player with a lucky streak can roll through the whole game without giving anyone else a chance.
- Adults may want to make this pig dice game into a drinking game by adding a shot element. For example, if a player rolls a pig, they may take a shot or a drink when playing Pig as a drinking game.
- On the other hand, when playing this pig dice game with younger kids, you may want to go slowly and allow only one roll per turn no matter what. This will allow kids to practice their math skills more easily.
How to keep score:
- Players should keep track of their own score by writing down what they earn on each roll with their individual pad and pencil.
- Players can use this to make notes of their accumulating score, but should mark out their score if they end up rolling a Pig and losing their points.
- If playing with kids, you may want an adult to act as a score checker to ensure everybody’s math is correct. (Some adults may want to have someone check their math as well—and that’s okay!)
How to win:
- The winner is the first person to reach 100 points. It’s okay to go over 100 points with a roll.
Beat The Odds With Pig Dice Game Rules Today
Now that you’ve learned how to play Pig and a few of the variations that many players enjoy, it’s time to bring home a set of Pig dice for yourself and your family. It’s not hard to come across Pig dice, and there are many great options out there. However, we’ve picked our favorite to help you get started.
If you’re looking for a great Pig dice game to help you enjoy this fun activity, check out our recommendation below:
Pig Dice Game #1. Pig Dice Game
This simple but very sturdy Pig Dice Game comes with everything you need to get started right out of the package. The game includes a durable plastic storage tube that contains the five dice printed as they should be for a game of Pig. This choice also comes with a set of instructions so you can easily reference the rules whether you’re playing on the go or not. Whether you’re searching for a game that can keep the kids occupied on vacation or you want something you can enjoy on family game night, this Pig game is sure to please!
- This game is very easy to learn how to play by following the included directions and is sure to be a big hit at parties for kids, adults, or a combination of both.
- The game can be used to teach kids math skills while also encouraging them to have fun.
- The tube may arrive with a price tag over the label, which can take away from the presentation considerably.
- In very rare instances, the game could arrive missing some dice, although this isn’t very common with this version of Pig.
***Get FREE betting tips from EXPERT tipsters LEARN HOW
No matter which version of Pig dice you end up buying, you’re sure to be pleased with the results. Take your time and try a few practice rounds before you bother keeping score so everyone in the family can get the hang of how to play. Once you and your friends or family understand the simple rules, it’s time to break out the Pig dice any time you want a quick game!
Use Pig to teach your kids simple addition and quick math, or use it to encourage good sportsmanship and simple strategizing during gameplay as well. When playing with adults, this pig dice game becomes a fast-paced party game that can be paired with alcohol, played with a gambling element, or enjoyed all on its own.
In the end, the right way to play Pig is simply the way that makes you happiest!
Last update on 2022-11-11 at 10:19 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.